The Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS) has raised the alarm on fraudulent tenders that are currently being circulated, claiming to be official from the organization.
In a statement released, BURS urged both the general public and the larger business community to exercise caution and ensure that they validate the authenticity of these tenders via their Procurement Unit.
“The Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS) warns the public and the business community at large about fake tenders in circulation purporting to be from BURS.
We therefore encourage the public to always validate the authencity of those tenders through our Procurement Unit to avoid losses associated with such activities,” BURS wrote.
This release according to the Service aims to prevent any potential financial losses stemming from these deceptive practices.
For further details or clarification, BURS urged to contact the number ‘363 8679’.
The mandate of the BURS is to perform tax assessment and collection functions on behalf of the Government and to take appropriate measures to counteract tax evasion on the one hand, and to improve taxpayer service to a much higher level on the other. In fulfilment of its mandate the BURS Act has empowered the BURS to:
- Administer and enforce the revenue laws;
- Promote compliance with the revenue laws;
- Take such measures as may be required to improve service given to taxpayers with view to improving efficiency and maximizing revenue collection;
- Take such measures such as may be required to counteract tax fraud and other forms of tax evasion;
- Advise the Minister on matters relating to the administration and collection of tax;
- And Perform such other functions in relation to tax as the Minister may direct.