The Bank of Ghana has announced its intention to inject improved banknotes into circulation on May 6, 2019 which will co-circulate with the existing series of banknotes.
According to a statement signed by the governor of the Bank of Ghana, Dr. Ernest Addison “The upgraded banknotes will have enhanced security features in line with evolving changes in the technological landscape. The upgraded bank notes also come with improved durability and machine readability.”
Below are details of the statement:
BANK OF GHANA INTRODUCES UPGRADED BANKNOTES
The Bank of Ghana will issue upgraded banknotes into circulation on May 6, 2019.
The upgraded banknotes will have enhanced security features in line with evolving changes in the technological landscape. The upgraded banknotes also come with improved durability and machine readability.
The enhanced security features are:
- Optically Variable Magnetic Image (SPARK LIVE): It is a shiny colour-changing image of the cowrie shell on the GH₵10, star on the GH₵20 and cocoa pod on the GH₵50. When the note is tilted, a shiny line across the cowrie shell, star, and cocoa pod moves up and down. The colour of the feature also changes from gold to green when tilted. · New Enhanced Security Thread (RAPID): It is a shiny broken line with movement that runs through the banknote from top to bottom. It is continuous when viewed against light. When the note is tilted, a star expands and contracts while the denomination value stays still.
- More Prominent Watermark: It is the image of Tetteh Quarshie with a cocoa pod which has been made more noticeable in the plain star area of the banknote. It becomes visible on both sides when viewed against light. The denomination value can also be seen in the watermark area.
- Enhanced Iridescent Band at the Back of the Banknote: It is a golden band with gold bars at the back of the banknote that runs from top to bottom. It can be seen more clearly when the note is tilted against light. The following principal design elements remain unchanged in the upgraded banknotes:
- The Big Six portrait
- Denominational colours
- Dimensions of the various denominations
- Other principal and background images The upgraded and the existing series of banknotes will co-circulate.
The Bank therefore entreats the public to KNOW THE CEDI AND KEEP IT CLEAN.